Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veteran's Day

I hope everyone was able to show appreciation to those men and women who have served in the military. For me growing up it was a way of life - and I'm always caught off guard when people think it is a strange way to live. I loved every minute of it - except when I had to say goodbye to my favorite friends in Sembach Germany and Ft. Carson Colorado. The above picture is of my Dad, Major Charlie Brown, who passed away in February. He is buried in Arlington, but that only slightly indicates who he was. He was PASSIONATE about this country, and dedicated to preserving our way of life. He had a very clear since of purpose in his life and he lived that purpose daily. He served in the Army for 20 years.

My father is not the only person in my immediate life who has served his country and dedicated many years to the military. My husband Brian was in the Navy, His father John also retired from the Army as a Lt. Col., My granddad Jolly retired a Lt. Col in the Air Force, My granddad Cecil was killed in the Korean War after graduating from West Point, and my granddad Brown served in the Army and then continued working for our country through the government. Currently, my first cousins are in the Citadel and the Air Force Academy and hope to follow in the footsteps of my father, grandfathers, and those that currently serve. We are proud of the military tradition in our family.

I hope everyone took a moment today to think about those that have served, and those that continue to fight. Wave a flag folks, it's important.

No comments: