Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Snow storm 2009, and pushups

We lived in the Seattle area for about 10 years, and used to crack up when we would have a blizzard, or a wind storm and King 5 news would name the storm. So in keeping with that tradition here are the details on SC Snow Storm, 2009.


Last night around 5:00 p.m. I was sitting here at the computer considering writing an article about Blondie, when I get an email from our school district saying that school is already closed for tomorrow. At that point, the news was forecasting anything from a dusting to 2 inches of snow. This of course means that our lovely southern state must shut down, and everyone needs to head to Piggly Wiggly for peanut butter, and batteries in case we're in the house for a long time. The girls were thrilled- I was less so. It sounds strange but I needed to be at school today because I only have 2 days to teach this week before I take my students down to Florida to swim with the Manatee. This meant ONE LESS DAY of FRACTIONS - and that just hurts.

The snow was supposed to show up between 3 a.m. and continue until 3 p.m. and then of course heat up to 90 degrees (okay, I exaggerate, 4o something). I woke up this morning around 7:30 to shrieks from Blondie and Cheesie as they experienced snow. Now these two started asking last year to go to the mountains so they could go sledding, so they couldn't wait to get out in the snow. Now, take a moment to glance at the pictures. If you live in Minnesota or New York, quit giggling (I hear you). It was only a dusting, but my kids were sure going to try to make at least one snowball from it. They spent all morning running in and out ('cause it was COLD). At one point I had several neighborhood kids in the house drinking hot chocolate, and chatting about the possibility of another snow day - keep in mind a 4 day weekend just changed into a 5 day weekend, and they wanted 6. It did flurry throughout the day - very pretty, but by lunch it was melting off of the roof and the ground, so they have no alternative but go to school tomorrow.
Both therapists came to the house today - OT does anyway since a car drove through the clinic, but PT came too, which was nice. I guess this way I didn't have to brave the .... um.... dry roads. Tonya (OT) has Blondie doing pushups. Tonya holds down her sleepy arm and then Blondie does all the work. Doesn't Blondie look like she enjoys it? I think not. I'm quite impressed with how far she is coming though. Kathy (PT) had her eating celery with lefty, and holding a skinny cup with two hands to drink. Blondie had to push her hand out to reach for it, open her fingers with help, and then hold onto the glass. This she did very well, considering that it is still hard to rotate that hand, but she did very well bringing her elbow into her side and dropping it down as her hand came up. Progress, folks, progress.
Bundle up. Low of 19 degrees tonight, High around 43 tomorrow.

No comments: