Sunday, July 1, 2012

Lanikai and Jerry Santos

DSC_0132

Saturday (June 30) found us feeling rather lazy. We just wanted to spend time on the beach and relax, so we headed over to nearby Lanikai. Lanikai is a gorgeous place to live, and between houses there are access points to the beach.  

DSC_0148
The girls and I stayed a fairly safe distance to the shore, but it is an easy place to swim. We didn't see any turtles this time, but Brian did snorkel out to the reef a ways from the beach and saw some fish. We learned about the Man-o-war jellyfish thanks to the warnings of the teenagers near us. They were fairly small jellies, but can pack a pretty good sting. Once we knew what to look for, we were fine.

DSC_0150

The Mokes are still on my list of things to get done this week, but we're quickly running out of time.  I think I'm going to just have to get up fairly early on Thursday, rent a kayak, and then head for the island on the left. There is apparently really good snorkeling out there, and I won't be able to do the  Haiku stairs, so I'd at least like to accomplish this goal.

DSC_0156
Big Al and Cheesie heading down the beach.

Later that evening, Brian and I headed out with Lori (sister) and Leigh Ann, Barry (brother) and his daughter Megan, and his parents to hear Jerry Santos sing. He's the one who sang at Jillianne's wedding, as well as the guy I went to listen to last weekend on Brian's first night.  We bought a couple of his CD's, and Brian bought me a really cool bracelet. There was a wonderful woman also singing on stage with Jerry. Once again, I was struck by how deep the Hawaiian culture runs, and I'm so glad to know that it isn't being lost in any way.

No comments: