Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Catching up

What a BUSY few days.

Friday - Beautiful day! T-Rex started the day going up in a hot air balloon. She was a top reader in her school, so Brian went up in the balloon with her. She was very excited, but as a mom I was more than nervous. I don't want my kids to ever be afraid of trying something thrilling, but a small basket suspended under fire, and fabric which could plummet to the earth doesn't quite make me feel safe. It was my last day of school, so I couldn't go, but Brian took pictures from the balloon, and my sister took pictures from the ground (none of which have either been developed, or emailed to me). I made Brian promise to call the moment both of them had their feet on the ground, which he did. Thankfully.
It was a half day for me, so I was able to go and help Cheesie celebrate her last day of daycare (11 years of daycare payments are now officially behind us - YAY). Margie and Michelle are fantastic women who were willing to take in Blondie about 8 months after her surgery. They treated her like every other kid, and taught both of our younger girls respect and manners. Cheesie was a little sad because she won't see her friends much any more, but she is so focused on going to kindergarten she CAN'T STAND IT!




After grabbing Cheesie we drove like mad over to Blondie's kindergarten singing performance. It is a nice tradition, and after singing they give you a portfolio of their work for the year - a WONDERFUL thing to have from your child. There were endless songs about friendship, but she was very proud of herself. What stood out to me was how small she was compared to everyone else, and also how adept she is at figuring out how to do things like everyone else. She had figured out tricks to do the hand movements everyone else was doing (although I did breathe a sigh of relief that she was not in the class using sign language through a whole song - that wouldn't really work).

Saturday - Another busy day - BALLET RECITAL. Unfortunately we do not have photos of each of the girls' dances (they announced that they would ask you to leave if they saw you take a picture). We did take a few pictures of Blondie's class rehearsal of Pretty Woman, but T-Rex and Cheesie's were missed. I do have professional pictures though and will send those to grandparents soon. Blondie and Cheesie were in a performance from 9:30 to 11:15, and then T-Rex had 2 dances in the 11:30- 1:15 show. Then there were two more performances of the older kids, but 4 hours of a lot of little girls in costume was quite....um....fulfilling. Of course our kids were amazing.












Last night was 5th grade graduation for Big Al. I've never been very big on graduations - I think we should stick to high school and college- but I was proud of her none the less. She won several awards: Presidential Award for Education Excellence, All A's in 5th grade, Governor's Writing Award Class Winner, and Honor Roll. It was quite long (8 classes of kids), and our other kids were troopers. Unfortunately Brian couldn't get the camera to focus while she was walking through line, but here is a picture of her, and one with the principal. Big Al will go to a magnet middle school next year for high end kids, and she is very much looking forward to it -although she will greatly miss seeing her best friend everyday.


Today was the last day of school, so we begin the lazy days of summer. I hope to be spending a lot of them just like this:

No comments: